Should You Upgrade To Windows 10?
Legacy hardware installed? Don’t Upgrade to Windows 10 Yet!
To upgrade to Windows 10 or not to upgrade to Windows 10? That is the question.
Although the General Store runs perfectly fine under the Windows 10 operating environment, if you currently have older, legacy POS hardware installed on your PC, we recommend that you delay installing the upgrade. POS hardware manufacturers are still scrambling to update drivers for the new Windows 10 for devices including:
- Partner Tech 5220 and 7220 pole displays
- Older Touchscreen monitors from HP and ELO
- Non-“Plus” editions of the Zebra LP line of label printers
- Older receipt printers from Star and Epson, certain powered USB receipt printers from HP, and Epson compatible receipt printers from other manufacturers.
Depending on just how old your legacy hardware is, you may even be forced to replace the hardware entirely in order to run on Windows 10, as updated drivers may never become available.
Bypassing the Windows 10 Upgrade install when prompted
If and when you see the Windows 10 Upgrade window shown above, you can simply click the red “X” button in the top right corner to bypass installing the upgrade.
Reversing the Windows 10 Upgrade if already installed
If you already installed the Windows 10 upgrade (by accident or otherwise), and you wish to revert back to the previous version of Windows, then follow these steps:
- Go to Settings, Update & Security, Recovery.
- Look for the Go back to Windows XX entry which will say either 7 or 8.1 depending on your former OS.
- Click on the “Get started” button and follow the prompts to go through the restore process.Note: You have up to 30 days to revert back to your former OS. Once those 30 days are up then you will be forced to reinstall your old OS from scratch.
For additional information on whether Windows 10 is right for you, contact your General Store account manager at 800.678.4535, or or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
. You can also contact our tech support team at 863.616.1211, or by email at email@example.com